linear search of TCP control blocks on demultiplexing of an incom ing IP datagram

From: Vishnepolsky, Oleg (ovishnepolsky@doubleclick.net)
Date: Wed Apr 17 2002 - 14:06:10 EDT

    Which TCP implementations do a hash lookup ? I know that most BSD
    derivatives do a linear search, except for the freebsd stack which does a
    hash. What about MS stacks ? My stacks (OS/2, FlexOS) being BSD derivatives
    used linear search except I used a one control block cache lookup since most
    of the TCP packets come in "trains". I had a 70% hit ration in my
    experiments.
    Is there a study/comparison of various TCP stacks re this and many other
    characteristics ? I am aware of external TCP fingerprinting but that does
    not reveal the internals that much. Any help will be appreciated.
    Oleg Vishnepolsky